There are many questions to think about when planning for college, so get started now!
When it comes to searching for colleges, do you have any in mind? Do you know where you want to apply? How much help do you want finding ways to pay for college? When you imagine college, what are you most excited about? Is it learning new things? Living on your own? Playing sports? Having a social life? Or are you pursuing a career interest?
Here are some steps you can take this year to get a jump start on your college search process:
- Take a good look at your unweighted GPA.
- Take college admission tests, such as the SAT and the ACT.
- Strive to take college-level or honors courses as a senior, because that’s what college admission officers like to see.
- Prepare a list of schools that interest you, and begin scheduling college visits. Be sure to take advantage of the opportunity to talk with students at each campus you visit.
- Colleges look for quality involvement in extra activities and experiences outside of school; join an academic club, volunteer for activities and clubs and play sports. Passionate involvement in activities and demonstrating leadership helps showcase your maturity and ability to make meaningful use of your free time.
- After determining the qualities you are looking for in a college, put those ideas into a college search program such as www.collegedata.com or https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org to create a list of colleges to consider for applications.
Start researching scholarships and financial aid options.
Attend college fairs that allow you to meet with college representatives to ask questions.
If you’d like help with your college search process, applications, college essay, financial aid options and more, call Klaar College Consulting. We have a variety of programs available to meet your needs. Or attend one of our upcoming seminars.